Friday, October 12, 2012

Bravery and Courage

As a writer, I'm always looking for examples of what makes a good leading character. It is rare to find one in real life and a shame to only stumble on it after a tragedy. I'm speaking of Malala Yousafzai of Swat, Pakistan, who was shot in the head a few days ago. The story of what she achieved and the tragedy of her shooting might finally be what Pakistan needs to rally against these vile thugs.

I thought about how best to share what I'd learned and as I looked into material to share, I came across this video on YouTube. It is a documentary titled Class Dismissed by Adam Ellick, shot in 2009. Keep in mind that the 14 year old who got shot is eleven in this 3 years old video.

While we are used to the big action heroes of the movies, like Harry Potter, here is a real life example of what it takes to stand up for your beliefs. Malala has real courage and I sincerely hope she pulls through and can recover from this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F5yeW6XFZk

2 comments:

  1. A horrible story that everyone felt. Maybe good will come of it, and it will rally people in those countries against the Taliban.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally stumbled across someone who had some reliable information. The bullet did not directly injure her brain, but it did fracture her skull which in turn led to a fairly serious brain injury. It is possible she will make a full recovery. Let's hope.

    ReplyDelete