Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Missing Things

My sporadic posts create an incomplete picture. I've skipped writing about a few things even though life has not stopped.

I completed the sixth installment of the Zaran Journals. It was such a relief to reach that point and I didn't have another project in mind that I just started coasting and once coasting, as Newtonian Physics teaches us, I just kept coasting. I have been working a bit. I feel some of my early work is a bit rough and needs some cleaning up and updating, but that is hard work. Harder than writing it in the first place. I have gotten some good feedback and have made some good progress on the first book, but nothing else has been going on. I have a few ideas for new projects, but I have been engrossed in some non writing projects that have taken what little creative energy I have. I hope to get back to writing new stuff soon.

The world has not stopped turning and movies and TV have continued to roll on and I have kept up with them, though not kept up writing about them. I did not stop watching Doctor Who or Star Wars.

In brief, here are my thoughts. Disney bought Star Wars. All well and good. They hired J.J. Abrams to do the first film. Not so good. The end results is full of Abrams worst faults. The plot is derivative and the ending is weak. He inserted his mystery box nonsense. He created some good characters and wrote some great scenes and dialog, but the story for The Force Awakens feels more like a prologue than a full story.

Then we have the animated series, Rebels. A great feast of storytelling. Great characters, great cast, great writers. For the first time we get to see badass Vader in action. Darth Maul living is resolved. It came and ended with four seasons of great stories.

Then there is Rogue One. The long mystery about the spies who stole the Death Star plans is revealed and it is marvelous. So much better than The Force Awakens on so many levels. And very different for a Star Wars film. While the story is uniquely Star Wars and doesn't feel derivative of anything, the feel of the movie is that of a hopeless mission in WWII, which has been done many times. Yet that idea in the Star Wars universe comes off as fresh and full of unexpected twists.

The Last Jedi caused controversy. Why, I still am not sure. I found it to be superior to The Force Awakens and a proper continuation from Return of the Jedi. Leia shined and finally got to use the Force and Luke had fallen back to his bad habits (as is common after a tragedy of that magnitude) and had to be pulled up again. While in some beats it is similar to The Empire Strikes Back, the story went in its own direction and grew the characters and put them on the road to complete the saga. I was totally engrossed the first time I watched it and I still have found no flaws, the first time since Return of the Jedi that I can say that about a saga film.

Solo came out too soon after The Last Jedi. At the box office it suffered from backlash, timing, competition, and a feeling that only Harrison Ford can play Solo. But when I went to the film, I found a movie that was true to the spirit of the old Expanded Universe. Brain Daley penned three Han Solo books and then later Ann C. Crispin dived even deeper. This story stays true to that character even though it goes in a different direction. Some points are repeated and some new things are added. Lando has a different droid, but has been on the same adventures that L. Neil Smith wrote about. Han is burned in love and is setup to be the person we meet in A New Hope, even if he isn't there yet. It was just the Han Solo film I have been waiting for since Brian Daley wrote his books.

So Star Wars started out rocky but has had 3 roaring successes as far as I'm concerned. I have yet to get into the new animated series, Resistance, but from the premier, it has the same potential Rebels did. But with a more Anime feel to the animation.

I have kept on top of Doctor Who. I last reported on Clara's last season. Wonderful. Capaldi's third and last season culminated with our first multiple Master story as the last two incarnations of the Master kill each other. Typical of the modern era, Capaldi lasted 4 years and 3 seasons with only a Christmas special in the skipped year. Capaldi's Doctor sends off River Song on their final encounter before she goes off to her first appearance and death. We get a superhero story. A season with Bill. A wonderful and complex character who is totally different from Clara. And Nardole. The glimpse from his first appearance wasn't enough and we get him for a whole season. A wonderful addition.

And then came the triumph of Capaldi's era - Twice Upon a Time. The First and Twelfth Doctors meet. We get two Tardis's and two Doctor, and the return of Bill. And if this outstanding story wasn't enough, the Doctor regenerated into something new. My feelings on that probably should be a post of its own, but suffice it to say that after 6 episodes of this new Doctor, she has nailed the part and is the Doctor. I'll leave a review of her first season until it is finished. But so far it has a couple of history based episodes that are among the best of the revived series.

I've already covered Star Trek and The Orville, so that about covers the things I've been thinking about.

I've also read some incredible stories. The Binti series by Nnedi Okorafor is outstanding. But the best thing I have read in years has been the new trilogy by Ann Leckie. Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword, and Ancillary Mercy form one of the best space opera trilogies I have ever read. She took a unique tack that doesn't detract from the story. She only uses the female pronoun as the society she is writing about only uses one pronoun for everyone. It creates a unique perspective on humanity. But the story is that good on top of it. Completely new and fresh and outstanding. So pick up both series and enjoy. They are my type of science fiction.

Well, that covers a lot of what I missed. I hope to keep up again and get back into gear. Time to turn my creativity to words again.

No comments:

Post a Comment